Home  >  News

Flood in Sarawak worsens this morning, remains unchanged in Kelantan and Perak

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 19 (Bernama) -- Flood in Sarawak worsens this morning with the total number of flood victims evacuated to relief centres rising to 3,201 from 736 families compared to 153 families last night.

Meanwhile in Kelantan and Perak the number remained the same as recorded last night at 354 and 80 respectively.

In SARAWAK continuous rain since the last few days worsened the flood situation in several areas in the state, especially in Kuching, Samarahan, Mukah and Limbang divisions.

Sarawak State Security Council (MKN) assistant secretary Salihin Annuar said at present 29 relief centres were opened with Kuching accomodating 2,306 flood victims, Limbang (442), Samarahan (276) and Mukah (186).

Six of the relief centres are schools while the rest are community halls, churches and others.

Salihin said all rescue operations had run smoothly, including evacuation, aid distribution and registration by the Social Welfare Department with no loss of lives due to the floods reported so far.

The number of victims were expected to rise following continuous rain as well as king tides and the ongoing evacuation process, he said.

In KELANTAN, a state MKN sposkesman said all 354 individuals from 74 families who lost their houses were still being placed at nine relief centres in Kuala Krai.

All victims are housed at school halls, Children Guidance Kindergarten(Tabika), factories and mosques.

In PERAK, a Perak MKN spokesman said up to date two relief centres were still opened with Perak Tengah accomodating 46 flood victims from 11 families and 34 individuals from 10 families in Hulu Perak.

 

广告
Copyright © 2019 Sin Chew Media Corporation Berhad (98702-V).
All rights reserved. Contact us : [email protected]